Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Promised A Recipe for Western Omelettes, But You Are Getting a Recipe for a Mexican Fritatta!

Today's earlier post said that you could look forward to a recipe for Western Omelettes (so that this recipe would tie into the earlier egg joke). Instead, I am offering this recipe for a Mexican Frittata.

I found this recipe courtesy of marthastewart.com.  It sounds so yummy (did I just say yummy?--so Rachel Ray!). I would make several changes in the recipe if I were making it. I might not use "red potatoes" but plain ol' baking potatoes because that is what I normally have on hand. I might substitute yellow onions for the scallions, because I normally don't keep scallions around. And as good as olive oil is for you, I would use butter because I love butter! The point is, this recipe can be adjusted to suit your tastes and what you have on hand. 

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red potato, thinly sliced 
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 scallions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
8 large eggs
1 1/4 cups chopped plum tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese

In a broiler-proof skillet, cook potato in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender and lightly browned. Stir in garlic and all but one tablespoon of scallions; season with salt and pepper.
Beat eggs until combined. Add 1/4 cup each of the tomato and cheese; stir to combine. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to pan. Pour egg mixture over potatoes.
Cook the eggs, lifting the edges with a spatula to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until the center is almost set completely. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. Place under broiler until center is totally set and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Add cilantro and lime juice to the remaining tomatoes and scallions to make a salsa. Cut frittata into wedges, plate, and serve with salsa on top. 

No comments: